Sunday, April 4, 2010

Excuse Me, Lollygagger: I've Got Some Pavement to Shred

So, ten rides into the season and I've already grown tired of my original route from last year, the route highlighted here in Ride Number Eight, so I decided to mix it up on Friday and rode South into Wicker Park on Damen. Pretty scenic, very "city." But it was still extremely windy out, especially heading South, so I cut the route short and dove East at North Avenue, and only ventured slightly into Old Town before hitting the Lake Shore bike path and heading back North (though I must say heading North on the bike path, riding with the winds, is a world of difference compared to riding South against the winds along the lake). Google map'd.

This is the time of year when it seems like the number of people outside increases exponentially by the hour. And with more people bring more obstacles which in turn brings more fun! I've realized the last few days of riding that everybody who rides is riding for a different reason. Most ride to lollygag, lazily enjoying the scenery around them; others are riding for pure exercise, zooming past in spandex suits; while others are riding for commuter purposes, taking them from point A to point B. There are hundreds of reasons why any individual is out on a bike, and they are all good reasons.

I ride for sport. I ride aggressively. I ride the shit out of these roads. I ride in front of traffic; I do not slow down; I get in your way and I pedal with full force; I bomb every bit of open pavement using every muscle in my body. And as the city grows to life throughout the summer, the same trails get increasingly challenging, bringing more and more adventure to the sport of city bike riding.

Here is my route from Friday's ride. While it was shorter than usual, around 14 miles, it was a step in a new direction, finding new routes and new trails to take me on new adventures.


Here are some pictures from this ride. Click any of the shots, including the map above, for larger slides. Pictures are numbered according to the map above.

(1) Chicago river from North Avenue facing Southeast
with the N. tip of Goose Island on the right

(2) At North Beach, facing West, away from the lake.
You can see the wind in this picture.

(3) North Ave. Beach facing East towards the lake.

Really quickly I want to mention "30 Days of Biking," an event taking place throughout all of April. The idea, pretty self explanatory, is to ride every day of April. It's a national thing and a topic that has started gaining attention on twitter. You can find more information about it here: 30 Days of Biking
And here is the twitter search for it: #30daysofbiking

Happy Easter!
-Zach

No comments:

Post a Comment